Monday, September 20, 2010

CPR: An Object Lesson



Twenty-two years ago, my sister was ill and I took her family dinner.  She lived several miles away and I would be gone more than an hour, so I took my two older sons with me.  Since he was ill and was at last sleeping (albeit on the sofa), I left my 18-month-old baby home in my husband's care.


The trip to my sister's house was uneventful.  However, as I turned into our apartment complex, I fell in behind a police car who was scanning the addresses with the probe light in the dark.  Not so much to my astonishment, the car stopped in front of my unit and were going to my front porch.  (We shared a porch with neighbors who had had visits from the police before).  My arms were full of dishes, so I told the boys to just go straight into the house and don't bother the police.  


As I approached our apartment from the parking lot, I realized that an ambulance was parked directly in front of our door, and that the police were not rushing into my neighbor's apartment but into my own.  That the incident happened while I was gone was a blessing for which I will always be grateful.  To see my baby lying lifeless on the floor would have knocked my feet from beneath me.


While I was gone, Paul had a febrile seizure and then stopped breathing.  However, my husband had been taught CPR while in the Air Force.  Despite how frightened he was, he immediately called 911 and began cardiorespiratory resuscitation.  By the time the ambulance arrived, he had restored Paul's breathing.  He was taken to the hospital, and we truly felt watched over that Paul had come to no serious harm.  More than 20 years later, he still mentions from time to time how frightened he had been and how grateful he is that he knew what to do and how to do it.

Without that knowledge, we would have never had this . . . 



. . . or this . . . 

                                         . . . or this . . . 

. . . . or this.

What I put to you is this:  of what worth is the safety—and quite possibly the future—of any member of your family and friends?  Hopefully, at least $30 and four hours of your time.


Yes, I am laying it on thick because I love to share pictures of my family a CPR class is scheduled for: 
Saturday, October 16, 2010, 
9am to 1 pm
for a cost of $30
Pre-register and pay by October 13th


Don't miss this opportunity to do something you have been meaning to do for years.  This is a fantastic price, particularly as you will certify for adults, children, and infants.  You can't beat it anywhere.  For location or other questions, please contact myself or Lucy Stern.  Contact information is available through our Google group.  Log-in is required.  Payment is to be made to Lucy Stern.  Anyone is welcome, so share with your friends.


Please, feel free to share your own experiences by commenting below.

1 comment:

Lynda M. Freeman said...

Wow, I'd never heard that story before. I'm convinced that I should learn it at some point now.