Sunday, October 10, 2010

More from the Dollar Stretcher

Don't Replace Door Locks

In changing my door lock, I have found that by having the cylinder "re-keyed" represents a huge savings (as much as 50%)as opposed to buying a new lock and chucking the old. Plus, it is a bit greener! Then, if one is slightly handy, installing the lock is a no-brainer! Even more savings here! Marian


*********
Leftover Turkey?

Sometimes after storing leftover turkey in the refrigerator, it gets a "different" taste to it. I have found that if you cover the turkey with chicken broth, it'll continue to taste fine. When re-heating the turkey, use the broth to make more
gravy. When freezing, the broth helps to protect against freezer burn.
Joann V. from Ohio


*********
Non-Toxic Flea Solution

If you have a problem with fleas on your cat or dog, here's a non-toxic trick. Take a nit comb that you can get alone or with lice shampoo (cheaper with the shampoo), dip the comb in vegetable oil, and comb your pet. The fleas and dander come right off. Your pet will love the combing, and it's natural and safe. Tracy J.


*********
Halloween Goodies


With Halloween just around the corner, it's time to start thinking about what goodies you will pass out to trick-or-treaters. While candy is the obvious choice, it can get expensive. Besides, the kids don't need all that junk!

Try looking around your house for non-food alternatives. Do you have a drawer full of colorful, unused pencils? How about a box full of like-new toy cars or untouched prizes from fast food meals? Maybe you have a pile of interesting stickers or
temporary tattoos. Do you have extra bouncy balls or novelty erasers? If you collect comic books or trading cards, weed out your collection and give away ones that you know aren't worth much money (check a collector book first to make sure).

After Halloween, watch at stores for 90% off holiday items. Stock up on multi-packs of party favors that can be given out as next year's treats. Be creative and think outside the candy box! Beth in Galesville, WI


*********
Convenient AND Cheap?


While many convenience items are more costly than their non-convenience counterparts, this is not always true. When my local supermarket puts the store brand shredded cheese on sale, the price per pound for the cheese is less than the
chunk cheese. Since I use a lot of cheese for my vegetarian night dinners, I stock up. Then I can have convenience and a good price. It pays to do the price comparison
Ruth C. from New Jersey


*********
Cleaning Smooth Top Stove


I bought a smooth top stove and started buying Pledge multi-surface cleaner (about $5 a bottle) to use on the top and to clean the stainless. It worked great, but one day I ran out and used my homemade vinegar counter spray instead. It also worked great and cost almost nothing. I also found that I could mist my laminate floor with it and use a Swiffer(r) type mop. It works great also. I mix equal amounts of water and vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap. I will save a lot in a year's time.
Linda H. in Warsaw, IN